Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State on Thursday, expressed his readiness to write officially to the National Universities Commission (NUC), for the conversion of the state-owned Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), from a university of technology to a conventional university.
The governor, expressed optimism while receiving the report of the negotiation committee on LAUTECH, held at the Executive Council Chambers of the Governor’s Office, Secretariat, Ibadan. Makinde pointed out that the plan became expedient in order to put the institution on the path of a world-class university.
“So it is now time to move forward with our plans. We would apply to the National Universities Commission to convert from a University of Technology to a conventional university so that courses such as Law can be taught at the institution.
We would appoint the Governing Council for the courses, to reflect the new ownership and this governing council would birth new management within the next couple of weeks.”
“Well, we were not insisting on parting ways because we do not love our brothers and sisters in Osun State, No.
As I have said on several occasions, this severance of relationship is not going to negatively impact the students and staff from Osun State, but it had to be done for the sake of easier administration and to move LAUTECH as an institution towards our goal of a world-class university.”
“In fairness to all, this was the only solution. So, let me once again use this opportunity to thank my Brother, the Executive Governor of Osun State, His Excellency, Governor Gboyega Oyetola, for putting aside all differences especially partisan politics all through these negotiations. We appreciate the applied wisdom in taking a stand for what is best for the students and staff of LAUTECH.”
“Today, I am happy to officially receive the report. I see you have returned as brave warriors having fulfilled your mandate.
I remember that on that day of the inauguration, Professor Ayodeji Omole, who serves as the committee’s Chairman promised that they would discharge their duties with integrity and courage and I must say kudos because the committee has done exactly that so, on behalf of myself, the Oyo State’s Executive Council, the staff and students of LAUTECH, the people of Ogbomoso in particular and the good people of Oyo state as a whole, we say thank you for a job well done. Thank you for getting the job done.”
“I also thank Professor Olu Aina who led the negotiation for Osun State. I visited National Universities Commission who midwife the negotiations. I am pleased to say that I have signed the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso bill 2020 into law.”
“Let me use this opportunity to remind us all one more time that the safety and security of Oyo state is everybody’s business. We must not allow any individuals or groups to disrupt the economic gains that we have made so far,” the governor added.
Earlier while presenting his report to the governor, the chairman of the committee, Prof. Ayodeji Omole said the committee was quick to understand that its mission was to salvage the university from total collapse to realise Makinde’s vision of the institution as “a university of technology that people from Africa and indeed the world aspire to attend.
He recalled that the process of negotiating sole ownership of LAUTECH was engaging, energy-sapping, time and money consuming, and interesting, adding that there were assets valuation and forensic audit of the university to prepare for the negotiation.
BREAKING: University Of Ibadan Releases 2020/2021 Post Utme Result
The University of Ibadan has announced the release of its 2020/2021 post-UTME results.
The institution’s director of public communications, Olatunji Oladejo, disclosed this on Saturday, April 17.
According to him, candidates have been advised to check the admission portal for the results.
Visit the university portal to check web address to the result
JAMB Registrar Bans Parents From Entering UTME Registration Centres
The Registrar of Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Prof. Is’haq Oloyede, has ordered all CBT Centres across the country not to allow parents/guardians into the registration hall again.
A statement signed by JAMB Spokesman in Ilorin Office, Hassan Lawal, quoted Oloyede as saying that the decision was made after inspecting some of the registration centres in Kwara, which were overcrowded.
”The registrar said it has been discovered that the parents/guardians are always a distraction to both candidates and the centres and at the same time, congesting the halls by not following the COVID – 19 protocols,” Oloyede was quoted as saying.
Oloyede also advised parents/guardians to stop pushing the education of their wards faster than necessary.
“For example, a 14 or 15-year-old is not matured enough to undergo the process of registration and university pressure and are vulnerable to exploitation by scammers out there,” he said.
Oloyede also advised states Ministries of Education and relevant stakeholders who were saddled with the responsibility of enrollment of students into secondary schools to always ascertain the students’ true age before admittance into secondary schools.
Fradusters Hack Our Sites, Diverts Millions Of Naira – Jamb Registrar
OVER N10 million meant to be paid to ad-hoc staff of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, as allowance has been hijacked into the accounts of over a dozen fraudsters who gained entry into the internet site of the board.
Prof Ishaq Oloyede, who disclosed this to newsmen, Wednesday, in Abuja, said the fraudsters altered profiles of the board’s ad hoc staff, diverting the money meant for their allowances.
According to him, the scam was uncovered after the board undertook a careful investigation, leading to the arrest of one Sahabi Zubairu from Takum in Taraba State, and several others.
Explaining that government policy “requires that monies meant for ad-hoc staff are paid directly into the accounts of the beneficiaries”, he regretted that the situation gave room to the challenge the board was encountering.
He decried the failure of the accounting department to detect the fraud by cross-checking the names on the accounts to ensure that they tallied with those listed on the website or owners of the codes.
The JAMB boss who noted that ad-hoc staff of the board have since been paid, however, assured that the stolen money will be recovered, as he vowed to hand perpetrators of the crime over to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, for further investigation and prosecution.
On how the fraudsters successfully gained access to the profiles of the ad-hoc staff, he explained that the fraudsters used key logger, a software that allows access to the profile of anyone who has logged in using a public cybercafé even after the person has logged out and gone.
Oloyede said Zubairu deleted the names of the original ad hoc staff and their telephone numbers and substituted them with his, adding that those affected include code number 313 and 312, among others.
At least ten of the scammers paraded by JAMB before journalists at its headquarters, in Bwari, Abuja, admitted to the crime saying they were lured into it by Zubairu.
Sports7 days ago
JUST IN: Kano Pillars Sign Super Eagles Captain
Sports6 days ago
University Of Calabar VC Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level (See Reasons)
News5 days ago
Unknown Gunmen Storm Bank In Anambra Community, Destroy Vehicles
Gossip6 days ago
E Choke Me: Nigerian Lady Cancels Engagement With Boyfriend Because Of This Shocking Reason
Gossip1 day ago
Any Lady That Tells You “Send Me Transport Money” Will Not Add Value To Marriage- Lady To Bachelors
News5 days ago
Check out the new date SIM cards registration starts
Sports6 days ago
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: Semi- Finals Full Draws,Time, Date
Entertainment5 days ago
Popular Nigerian Rapper Arrested For Carrying Drugs